October 10th is World Mental Health Day 2017, a day dedicated to spreading awareness and understanding about mental health.
World Mental Health Day 2017 is all about opening up about mental health, helping people who are suffering, and also raising awareness about how prominent it is in modern society. It is particularly relevant as the focus of this year’s World Mental Health Day, as set by the World Federation for Mental Health is mental health in the workplace.
Mental Health in the Workplace
According to NHS statistics, 1 in 4 people are affected by mental illness in the UK each year, and the number of drugs prescribed as a result of mental illness has doubled since 2007.
Furthermore, new statistics have suggested that a third of all sick absences in the UK are as a result of mental health issues. World Mental Health Day 2017 is all about opening up about mental health, helping people who are suffering, and also raising awareness about how prominent it is in modern society.
According to a recent article in the Metro UK, which you can read here, here are some statistics regarding mental health:
- Approximately 15% of people will experience mental health problems in the workplace during their career.
- Women in full-time employment are nearly 200% as likely to suffer from mental health problems as men.
- Increased and more effective mental health support in the workplace could save up to £8 billion a year for UK businesses, including preventative measures.
eJIGSAW & Mental Health
Within the Jigsaw Group, we take mental health at work very seriously. We strive to better understand the possible issues faced by each and every one of our employees. Additionally, we offer several forms of support to all our team members.
The group as whole works with several charities, particularly the medical side of the business. And in doing so this shows an aspirational commitment to be active in tackling mental health stigma and discrimination in the workplace, and that the commitment has support from the top – helping to inspire the culture of our organisation.
Jigsaw CEO, Chris Percival commented:
“We will consistently strive to provide the best support for all our members of staff who are at risk of or currently suffering from mental health issues.”
We are also delighted to say that for World Mental Health Day 2017, eJIGSAW as a company has signed the World Federation for Mental, Health Mentally Healthy Workplace Pledge.
By signing, eJIGSAW pledges our support for the mental health of all of our workforce, and we will commit to doing our best at being proactive in promoting:
- Appreciation of employees and workers
- Creation of a supportive environment
- Identification of early signs of burnout
- An organizational culture which reflects value systems and beliefs
- Stress management
- Building awareness and reducing stigma
- Mental health wellness and providing support for employees who need it.
keyboard_arrow_left Back to all posts
Share this post -